A Hadoop Developer is in charge of the coding or the programming aspect of the Hadoop applications. Anyone who can create magic through coding and is passionate about Hadoop and Big Data can become a Hadoop Developer. Their roles and responsibilities are similar to a software developer and Hadoop Developer will continue to do similar tasks albeit in Big Data domain. More than often, Hadoop Developers are also referred as Big Data Developers.
Now that we established what a Hadoop Developer does, let’s look at the tasks and responsibilities that he/she will be involved in. The following are the job responsibilities gathered from various job openings in Indeed:
1. Outlining the job flows.
2. Handling Hadoop Log Files.
3. Supervising Hadoop jobs using scheduler.
4. Performing cluster coordination services via Zookeeper.
5. Assist MapReduce programs running on the Hadoop cluster.
6. Responsible for Hadoop development and implementation.
7. Pre-processing using Hive and Pig.
8. Designing, developing, installing, configuring and maintain Hadoop.
9. Decipher intricate technical requirements.
10. Analyze vast amount of data and gain insights from it.
11. Preserve security and data privacy.
12. Develop highly scalable and web services with exceptional performance, for data tracking.
13. High-speed querying.
14. Managing and deploying HBase.
15. Be a part of a POC team and help build new Hadoop clusters.
16. Investigate groundbreaking prototypes and be in charge of it until it is handed over to the operational teams.
17. Come up with best practices.
18. Responsible for troubleshooting and development on Hadoop technologies like HDFS, Hive, Pig, Flume, MongoDB, Accumulo, Sqoop, Zookeeper, Spark, MapReduce2, YARN, HBase, Tez, Kafka, and Storm.
19. Translate, load and exhibit unrelated data sets in various formats and sources like JSON, text files, Kafka queues, and log data.
20. Fine tune applications and systems for high performance and higher volume throughput.
21. Responsible for implementation and support of the Enterprise Hadoop environment.
22. Involves designing, capacity arrangement, cluster set up, performance fine-tuning, monitoring, structure planning, scaling and administration.
23. The administrator consultant will work closely with infrastructure, network, database, business intelligence and application teams to ensure business applications are highly available and performing within agreed on service levels.
24. Need to implement concepts of Hadoop eco system such as YARN, MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Zookeeper, Pig and Hive.
25. In charge of installing, administering, and supporting Windows and Linux operating systems in an enterprise environment.
26. Accountable for storage, performance tuning and volume management of Hadoop clusters and MapReduce routines.
27. In command of setup, configuration and security for Hadoop clusters using Kerberos.
28. Monitor Hadoop cluster connectivity and performance.
29. Manage and analyze Hadoop log files.
30. File system management and monitoring.
31. Develop and document best practices
32. HDFS support and maintenance.
33. Setting up new Hadoop users.
34. Responsible for the new and existing administration of Hadoop infrastructure.
35. Include DBA Responsibilities like data modeling, design and implementation, software installation and configuration, database backup and recovery, database connectivity and security.
Kanerika has over 75 years of collective experience in Software Product Development and is passionate about exceeding expectations of our clients.